Celebrate whilst on safari
Weddings, vow renewals, anniversaries, bar mitvahs, engagements, honeymoons and big birthdays – there is much to celebrate in life and why not whilst on safari? The Angama team loves throwing a bash whatever the occasion. And they do it in Maasai style: with beautiful beadwork, dancing warriors, extraordinary backdrops and of course the warmest Kenyan service and hospitality.
CELEBRATE ANGAMA STYLE
Life is too short not to make the most of those special moments
- Gather in the heart of Maasailand to honour a special occasion
- Every occasion is honoured with a dedicated performance by Maasai warriors
- Bespoke Maasai beadwork: wedding attire, traditional jewelry, walking & talking sticks & more
- With heart stopping views in every direction, memories are made of moments like these
AN ANGAMA MARA WEDDING
Couples marry in true Maasai style, either with a group of friends or just the two of them, with the guidance and blessing of a local priest. There is a choice of beautiful locations on the property for this celebration, followed by a feast back at the lodge. The next morning, the newlyweds can toast their marriage with a private brunch for two on the Out of Africa kopje.
*Please note couples must complete the necessary legal requirements for marriage at home, prior to travelling.
Honeymooners, couples either wanting to renew their vows or those perhaps celebrating a milestone wedding anniversary, can do this at an authentic, low-key celebration in our traditional Maasai boma at sunset. The husband is presented with a Maasai shirt and beaded walking stick and the wife with a traditional beaded skirt, top and beautiful Maasai jewelry. They arrive in the boma amongst singing and dancing maidens and warriors. After a performance by the warriors the elders will bless the couple.
*Please note all bespoke Maasai beaded items to guests’ account
AN OUT OF AFRICA ENGAGEMENT
What could be more romantic than a proposal right on the site of the movie about one of the greatest love stories ever to have taken place in colonial Kenya? Out of Africa was filmed here and the little hill featured on the movie’s poster is where the lodge team sets up a champagne picnic on its crest with sweeping views of the Mara below. With such a setting we have yet to have a refusal!
Whether it’s just a couple travelling together celebrating a special birthday, or the multi-generational gathering of a family clan, the lodge loves to throw a birthday bash. These take place in our Maasai Boma at sunset, accompanied by toasts with traditional Kenyan ‘dawa’ cocktails, and a beautifully beaded Maasai gift is presented and the warrior performance dedicated to the birthday celebrant. For a more discreet celebration, guests can be surprised and spoiled by a champagne picnic for two on the crest of the Out of Africa kopje.
BAR MITZVAHS MAASAI STYLE
During their Bar Mitzvah year, young Jewish men can celebrate their coming of age in the heart of Maasailand. The day starts with a wilderness walk in the company of a Maasai naturalist who will share his story about his Maasai journey from boyhood to manhood, and teach him how to throw a spear and shoot with a bow and arrow. After a hearty breakfast, a couple of quiet hours are spent in a traditional manyatta (homestead) with a Maasai elder, who will share his wisdom of this transition. The day is capped in an evening ceremony, when the young man is the guest of honour in the boma and dances with the Maasai warriors, before being blessed by the elders and presented with a special gift to celebrate his coming of age, and commemorate this memorable day.
*Bat Mitzvah celebrations are also available
Costs & Logistics
- Please plan well ahead to accommodate any custom beaded items. The cost of bespoke items, clothing or jewelry is available upon request
- Angama Mara does not charge a fee for hosting celebrations (excluding Bar Mitzvahs), nor for the dancing performance by fifteen Maasai warriors in the boma
- The services of priests, elders, additional warriors or other professionals as required are available upon request
- Please enquire about the cost of hosting a Bar Mitzvah
- Each camp at Angama Mara accommodates up to 30 guests, perfect for larger groups, with a maximum capacity of 60 guests